Who doesn’t love eating with their hands?
Just when I thought I couldn’t come up with something delicious and good for the body.
These tacos are completely vegetarian, vegan , gluten free and cruelty free. YUM!
I ditched the taco shells and opted for Boston or Romaine lettuce. Your choice.
Who’s ready to get messy?
Here we go:
- 2 onions finely chopped (Set 1 onion in a small bowl and the other onion split in two smaller bowls)
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup of lime juice
- 1 can of any bean of your choice (I used white kidney beans)
- 1 sweet bell pepper sliced thinly
- 1 bunch of fresh spinach
- 1 head of Boston or Romaine lettuce (or taco shells)
- Some olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Celsius. Line one large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper for easier cleanup.
- To roast the sweet potato: On your prepared baking sheet, toss the cubed sweet potato in enough olive oil to lightly coat all sides, about 2 tablespoons. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon chili pepper and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add in your chopped onion too. Arrange the potato and onion in a single layer. Bake until the sweet potato is tender throughout and caramelized on the edges, about 30 to 35 minutes, tossing halfway.
- Meanwhile, to assemble the salsa: In a medium mixing bowl, combine half of one onion chopped, tomatoes diced, lime juice, olive oil and salt (hot pepper if you like). Toss to combine, then taste and add additional lime juice and/or salt if necessary. Set aside to marinate.
- The tacos: Take apart each salad leaf and place in a large bowl.
- The beans: Heat the can of beans in a medium skillet with some olive oil and your other half of one onion diced up. Cook for about 7 minutes or until the beans are warm. Place in a plate, ready to serve.
- To assemble the tacos, spoon an ample amount of salsa down the center of your taco, top with roasted sweet potato and spread a spoonful of beans down the side. Top with garnishes of your choice (spinach and sweet bell peppers) and serve immediately.